Friday, April 24, 2009

The dirty, dirty.

It's been 7 months since we moved to Atlanta, but I still appreciate the fact that moving across country to a strange new city has been an adjustment. I think I spent the first several months going through the motions at work and at home. Brain dead...I felt like a zombie, and my mind and body started to (and still is) deceive me. The brain is the almighty organ, which I knew, but never appreciated in such a way. Alas, I don't wish to continue this morbid fascination with myself. Let's move onto what's been good about "The City Too Busy to Hate."

NHL hockey in my backyard. I only made it to 1 game this year, but having a NHL team where my live is great. Phillips Place is a nice arena and one of the great things is that there is a dedicated entrance to the arena for those arriving via MARTA. I'd like to make it to several games next year.

The MARTA! Especially, how convenient and cheap it is to take to the airport. At some stations you can park your car long term for only a few bucks a day. Beats the 10 bucks/day at the airport lots.

The possibilities I have doing research at Emory are essentially endless. I am only limited by my imagination and motivation.

My morning constitutional. We live close enough to school to walk. I trounce through the woods every morning on my way to work. I've seen several species of birds, deer, old men, dogs, and snakes. Just to name a few.

Milwaukee has, and forever will have, a special place in my heart in terms of the bar scene, but we've discovered some gems here in Atlanta. The Brick Store Pub has a beer list that will make your head spin and really good food to boot. MJQ is basically a garage from the outside that goes down underground into a maze of a dance club. I lost my hearing after spending a night there in February. The Porter Beer Bar in Little 5 Points has a great beer selection and hell of a brunch. The chicken sausage gravy is fucking heavenly. The Corner Pub in Decatur has some really good food and you can usually get a decent bottle of beer for 2 bucks. I'm sure there are many more that I am forgetting or haven't yet discovered.

Food in quick fashion. BBQ. Mellow Mushroom. Willy's. Everybody's Pizza. Atkins Park. Wings at Famous. Edo.

Last but not least, the halfwit who chased us into Publix one night whilst burping uncon-fucking-trollably. Fear and amusement are emotions that you don't often experience at the same time, but I was both afraid of this fucking dude and still laughing at him while he ran after us into the grocery store. He then stood near the checkout while we were shopping, but vanished by the time we checked out.

No comments: