Thursday, August 14, 2008

That was our planet!

Those goddamn dirty apes at pokerstars are up to it again with the 'battle of the planets' promotion. I have 4 SNGs left in this round of 20 and have an outside chance of finishing in the top 100. I have primarily been playing in the 6 max SNGs which only pay the top 2 spots and result in fewer points towards the promotion. The current leader of the 'Venus' (ha! rhymes with cleanest) division has over 600 points. That seems like a pretty sick total. I'd have to win half of my 6 max SNGs and place second in the others to achieve that total. It doesn't seem possible, but I suppose there is probably a little bit of strategy that goes into it. A good player would probably have a reasonable chance of making the leader board playing 6 max SNGs, but you'd have to go on an extreme heater to get over 500 points. It seems like a good strategy it to start off your blocks of 20 SNGs with 1 or 2 3-table tourneys would allow you to get a decent jump on the field if you were lucky enough to win 1 and place in the other. For some reason I've never done well with the 3 or 4 table SNGs, but if i wanna make a serious run at some 'free' cash, I might have to learn.

I just got done playing a SNG just now. I was getting beat around a bit the first few levels, but won a big pot with AK over AQ. Two hands later I had 88 and reraised a player in EP for most of his chips. He hems and haws in chat, calling me a donk, and typing that he had 88 and was folding it. Normally, I don't show, but I knew I could probably tilt the fucker so I showed my 8s. Sure enough next hand he donked off his chips-sadly, not to me. Funny thing is that he had a Phil Ivey pic for his avatar. I'm pretty sure his hero Phil Ivey would not have announced the hand he was going to fold his hand in the same breath as calling his opponent a donk. Come to think of it, I'm pretty sure Phil Ivey has probably never played a 6 dollar SNG either.

Speaking of avatars, I'd like to change mine. I wonder if pokerstars will allow me to do it again. I originally had a picture of a 70s hockey goon named 'robert maplethorpe' who was apparently the inspiration for the 'ogie oglethorpe' character from the classic movie 'Slap Shot.' Right now I have a picture of a psychotic drunken cartoon mouse from a short-lived show that was on adult swim a few years ago. I need to think of a good one.

UPDATE: I just checked on stars. Do they allow you to change it all you want now? Seems like it.

No comments: