Friday, September 05, 2008

Hockey Mom's, PhD's, and Change

So, this whole political narrative about Sarah Palin being a tough "Hockey Mom" is such a fucking joke. I played hockey for 14 of the first 18 years of my life and as a whole the mom's were just like any other group of women. Many were like my mother who worked a full-time job, and some were stay at home mothers. Some were well off, others had less money. Some were religious, others less so. Some talked too much, others said too little. The same sort of description applies to hockey dad's as well. And for the life of me, I cannot think of one thing about watching their kids slap around a piece of vulcanized rubber that somehow makes them especially qualified to be President of United States. But, I guess you rely on these sort of sugar-coated stories and gimmicks when you are unable to run on the issues. You nominate a VP who, by any reasonable account, does not have the experience to act as President compared to any other of the candidates he was considering. For fuck's sake, she thinks oil pipelines and the war in Iraq are heaven sent. What kind of bat-shit crazy is this? Do people actually believe this crap?

It was equally hilarious to see the Republicans try to convince people that they are the party people should trust to "fix Washington." Somehow, I don't think that line will resonate very well when they have been in charge for pretty much all of the last 8 years. And while McCain said the word "change" about 50 times last night, he failed to into any specifics about what needs to be changed or who fucked it up.

Amidst all these political happenings, I managed to defend my dissertation this week am now officially Dr. Bossman.

No comments: