Saturday, October 27, 2007

Qotsa/Melt Banana


This past Wednesday I went to the Queens of the Stone Age show at The Rave in Milwaukee. I forked over 7.50/each for 3 miller lites, and watched one of my favorite bands standing immediately behind 5 dudes who were probably the starting lineup for 2002 Cudahy High basketball team. Now, apparently they've all become stoners who go to shows to smoke pot in public and stand listless while one of the greatest rock bands alive puts on a show. They weren't the only jerkoffs in the crowd. First of all, the guy girl ratio was about 10-1, and the dick to not-a-dick ratio was about the same. Exhibit A was the fuckwit who flicked a lit cigarette at Josh Homme near the end of one song. Exhibit B was about every fucking loser who I walked by as I tried to make my way through the crowd and to the bathroom. Not only were people not making any attempt to help me get by, several mouth-breathers made sure they stood their ground, sometimes throwing a light shoulder my way. Absolute homos.

The next night I went down to the Cactus Club to check out a Japanese noise-punk band named Melt Banana. They put on one hell of a show. They were fronted by a waifish woman, who belted out vocals that would make those chicks from Cibo Matto proud. The guitar player wore a mask as if he felt he was at risk for some airborne disease. Oddly enough, their merch guy had one on too.

No comments: