Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Johan the man.....

Watching the opening day game for my beloved Minnesota Twins. Johan looks pretty sharp and Tony Batista already grounded and flied out once. An out-machine for sure. Gleeman is right.

Last night I played in the blogger WSOP satty organized by Iggy. My first table had DoubleAs and pokernerd among others. Joe Speaker moved in at some point. I know all these guys have had some success and I figured I needed to get lucky and play smart to get far in the event. I got lucky some, but didn't play all that smart. It was a deep stack event and had 30 minute levels. I've always avoided deep stack events simply because of time concerns. I don't often have 8 hours to play a tourney. The first major hand I had I was dealt AA in the big blind. There was a standard raise from UTG and I popped it back and got a call. Flop came Q high I got a call on my flop bet and was reraised all in on the turn. I went into the tank and decided the guy either had QQ or KK. I made the call and saw the bad news, he held QQ. I hit my two outer on the river to double up. I started raising more pots after that and had minimal success. The table was stocked enough to realize what I was doing and I started to get played back at more, but I still hovered around 10K in chips and was in the top 10. Somewhere around the second hour I got KK in the cut off and got a call from a someone who limped UTG. Flop came 7,8,2 and I got checkraised. Tanked again. I realize 77 and 88 are possible holdings here, but I figured I was just as likely up against 99-JJ(I guess 27 is even possible in a blogger event). I put the player all in and saw I was up against top set. No two outer this time. Went out around the end of hour 3 with AK to AA. The competition was good though, and that is refreshing after playing against donks most of the time in cheap ass SNGs and ring games. In a very classy move Iggy kicked in an extra few hundred to get the prize pool high enough to send two bloggers.

Twins update: Johan just gave up a bomb to one of the 24 Molina's who play catcher and have the least athletic looking frames in baseball. Suuuper excited to see the Twinkies when the come to MKE in May. The experience of watching games at Miller Park is 100 times more enjoyable than going to a game at the Metrodome.

Why?:

Seats all face homeplate.
Tailgating at Miller Park.
Outdoors (mostly).

out.

No comments: