Monday, August 21, 2006

I lack originality

It seems to be popular these days to fire up the ipod, put it on shuffle, and blog which songs come out. And who am I to go against the zeitgeist. To make this even MORE exciting, I grouped the songs into batches of 5, and bolded my favorite of that bunch.

Jesus was Right - Frank Black
Hey Fuck You - Beastie Boys
New Hampshire - Sonic Youth
Positive Tension - Bloc Party
Putting Shame in Your Game - Beastie Boys
(Not a great song, but the others are pretty weak)

Save a Prayer - Duran Duran
Pennyroyal Tea - Nirvana
Marker in the Sand - Pearl Jam
Bodyrock - Moby
My Favorite Things - Outkast
(A pretty brilliant remake IMHO; DD song tells you I didn't edit this list)


Welcome to the Terrordome - Public Enemy
Punk Rock City - Frank Black
Unite - Beastie Boys
I'm Back - Eminem
Low - Foo Fighters
(Have to go w/PE here; classic)

Sentimental Man - The Dismemberment Plan
Gravity Rides Everything - Modest Mouse
Black Star- Radiohead
Idioteque - Radiohead
Sex Change - Breakbeat Era
(Roni Size side project; Obscure drum and bass circa 1999)

Spaceship - Kanye West
That's My DJ - Girl Talk
Manslaughter - EPMD
Sinister Foxx - The Breeders
99 Red Balloons - Nena
(German version of 99 would win; Kim Deal sounds drunk on the vocals; A+)

Enfilade - At the Drive In
Lightness - Death Cab for Cutie
U-Mass - Pixies
Your X-rays - Jets to Brazil
Swimsuit Issue - Sonic Youth
(Pixies prob are my fav band, but this SY song is too good to ignore)

Readymade - Beck
The Choice is Yours - Black Sheep
Mosquito Song - Queens of the Stone Age
Tuff Gnarl - Sonic Youth
Never mind - The Replacements
(QOTSA song is weak, Paul Westerberg can right a fricken song!)

Horseflies - Call Me Lightning
Skin on Skin - Queens of the Stone Age
I Want You So Hard - Eagles of Death Metal
Time Bomb - The Dismemberment Plan
Million Dollar Question - Radiohead
(EoDM wins! Locals Call Me Lightning are damn good tho)

In the Backseat - Arcade Fire
Trimm Trabb - Blur
Tastykake - Burning Airlines
Argument - Fugazi
Distopian Dream Girl - Built to Spill
(None of the others stick out on their respective records. Sadly, Blur wins)

Daft Punk is Playing at My House - LCD Soundsystem
40' - Franz Ferdinand
Long Goodnight - The Get Up Kids
I Better Be Quiet Now - Elliot Smith
Throught the Window - Seaweed
(Ass shaking LCD song wins by long shot)

1 comment:

TripJax said...

I listen to a lot of the same stuff. Nice mix...